Israel conquers numerous cities in Northern Palestine through the Lord.
- Numbers never guarantee success, vv. 1–5
- Disobedience nullifies God’s command, v. 15
- Though Joshua was a great commander he was praised for his obedience to God, v. 15
- Hardness of heart is the ruin of sinners, v. 20
- Those who are secure in themselves and who do not heed God’s warnings are already marked for God’s judgment, v. 20
- “Giants are dwarfs to Omnipotence,” vv. 21–22 (Matthew Henry)
- Israel’s peace was not with the Canaanites but from them, v. 23